The School was first proposed in the year 1610 and founded in 1614, situated within a hundred yards of the main shops and High Street of Newport. King Charles 1st had connections with the School and would visit during his stay on the Island. The exterior has been recently renovated, but the main structure of the building still remains basically the same, it is no longer in use as a School. In the early 1800's the sons of poor tradespeople of the town were educated and prepared for a useful trade upon leaving. Fee paying boarders were also taught, some of these being from the mainland.