EAST COWES COASTGUARD COTTAGES
These cottages were built in 1881 and stand looking out across the harbour entrance to West Cowes and the Southampton/Lymington coastline of the mainland.
These were to accommodate 14 men and their families, the Chief Officer's house can be seen standing alone at the end of the terrace (far left).
The picture (right) is taken from the opposite direction, with the Chief Officer's house most prominent. The gardens originally reached the road, until the front was cleared during WW11 and an anti-aircraft gun placed on the green.
The Chief Boatman's
house with the boathouse attached, can be seen at the end of the block of houses
(far right) and the slipway from where they launched their boats still
The Cottages were purchased by the local council in 1921.
[Home] [Coastguard links
Photos taken July 2004